Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Golden Egg...and How I Made All The Kids Cry



So, my sister-in-law hosted an
Easter Egg Hunt
the Saturday prior to Easter.

It's always a good time,
and their sweeping property makes
for a really great hunt for the kids.

Big whoop for me,
I'm a grown-up, right?

Afterall, this is for the kids!

You'd thinks so.

But then you'd be...

wrong.



Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!


The hunt began as all good hunts do...


With a free pass for the littlest ones!


And the rest are off!


The Big Kid Strategy:

Bypass all the easy eggs and go straight for the gems,
the Premium Gold Egg,
and the lesser,
but still equally sought after,
Silver Egg!


But...


W H E R E  A R E  T H E Y ?

...
Well,
that's what I started to wonder too (unfortunately),
and before I knew it,
I was nine years old, basket in hand, dirt under my nails, with a skinned knee,
 and I'm blood thirsty as all get out!

T H O S E  E G G S  A R E  M I N E !

 

That hooting and hollering?


It took a moment to sink in,
but yea,
it was coming from me.

...

I had found not one,
but BOTH eggs!


And as the realization sunk in,
the heart of every child there...


BROKE.


And my touchdown happy dance?

Well, it wasn't so happy anymore.

Oops.

Big, big oops.

...

To make matters worse,
the kids strategy backfired.

When all was said and done
the wee kids had all the candy eggs,
I had the primo eggs,
and they had,
well,
not much!

Talk about an extra punch in the gut!

...

To make amends,
my prize,
a giant Hershey Chocolate Bar,
was divided evenly among all the kids.

{ Bella wrestled the Silver Egg from me
and ran off with the four quarters. }


All in all,
those sweet kids forgave they're crazy aunt/mom!



And next year,
Samuel's going to restrain me!

{ sigh }







No comments: