Friday, September 10, 2010

Simple Refried Black Beans

I cannot tell you how many times I have choked down refried beans as a child. 

Looking back, it seems like we ate them nearly every single night.  I can even vividly remember cracking open the fridge and seeing the bacon lard container staring at me.

Taunting me.

Ugh.

{Shudder}

Now that I am all grown up,

{It does have it's benefits!}

I've successfully avoided refried beans,
refusing to order them in restaurants,
and certainly not cooking them at home!

Until now.

This considerably lighter version uses absolutley no lard and very little oil.  The flavor come from the beans themselves and chicken stock, making them a tasty-and simple!-side dish for those delicious Latin entrees!


Refried Black Beans
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans, drained of half the liquid
1/2 c 99% fat free chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, deveined, de-seeded, and minced (1 tbs)
1/2 c 2% mozzerella cheese, shredded

Directions

Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle in the oil.

After one minute put in everything except the cheese. 
Lower the heat to medium-low,
combine well,
and allow to simmer,
stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes. 

Mash until nearly all the beans are incorporated. 

{I like mine "beany" and leave some untouched.}

Turn the heat to low and stir in half of the cheese.  

Top with the remaining cheese, cover for one minute,
or until the cheese is melty on top,
and...

Enjoy!

No comments: