Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grateful for Roots

Since we were so far south for our
trip to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park,
we took the opportunity to head even further south
to Bakersfield, California
to celebrate Thanksgiving
with my late Grandpa's side of the family.

His brother, my great Uncle Junior,
played host to over 50+ relatives,
and this,
they informed me,
was a light year!

There were three whopping huge turkeys
being carved in the kitchen,
and a vat of mashed potatoes so big that
 I could easily have bathed both my boys in it!

But best all,
was the tremendous sense of family.

It has been years since I've visited,
the last time was when I was maybe
thirteen or fourteen years old...

but I remember.

I remember, especially,
my grandpa.

He took me here.

He made sure I knew where I came from.

And then he wanted me
to grow and be happy
with a family of my own.

...

So, so grateful.

For family.

P.S.  Miss you, grandpa. 

And...

See you later, alligator.

After awhile, crocodile.







My great-grandma Eulalia


Uncle Junior, grandpa's brother


Dear Aunt Agnes, his joyful wife from Brooklyn!



The photo which spurred a number of
car honkings, catcalls, and even a passer-by
who slowed and took their own photo of us from his car!












Grandpa's little sister, Aunt Connie,
whose personality is anything but little!





Grandma Lopez

So happy to be surrounded by family not
seen nearly often enough!

Again...

H A P P Y  T H A N K S G I V I N G !



1 comment:

D G said...

That looks like a lot of family, more than I remember! I haven't been in years.