Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Parade

Suffice it to say, I am not a big parade person. They are long, and frankly, boring. But tradition has a funny way of drawing you in to continue what was started long ago. And that is why we continue to visit the North Highlands Memorial Day Parade every year: Tradition instituted by my Grandpa and Grandma Lopez, and something Samuel and I are genuinely happy to continue with our children today.

What isn't sweetened by a trip to the donut shop?

I had to take a double-take of the kids seated at this table. I thought it was a really small table for four, and then discovered that they just squeezed into a two-person table.
Silly kids!

Normally I can easily turn away a donut. I don't like the taste of them. But this particular shop had my nemesis...the creme-filled donut. And because I am weak I bought one. Lucky for me, I had the sense to eat only a few bites before offering the rest to anyone who would take it.

It was gone in three seconds.
Whew!

To our surprise, we missed the last turn off for parking and were then swept away in the single lane of traffic that, fortunately for us, followed the parade.

We had the best seat in the house!

We eventually managed to make our way back and met up with my mom and dad and my Grandma Lopez.


Samuel was trying to get Owen to wear my dad's Vietnam Veteran hat. My mom always tries to get my dad to wear it too!




We embrace the opportunity to teach the kids to stand for the flag with their hand over their heart. It never fails, as the flag passes, Sam and I always look at one another at the same moment and start bawling.

We are so grateful for this great land.

Thank you to all the men and women who have served to preserve our freedom. We know you truly do make this world a better place.

The kids even spotted Santa! They concluded that because it was almost summer, he must be vacationing in North Highlands. They reasoned that it was okay for him to be here because both North Highlands and the North Pole share the word "North"!

What is it about a mini-American Flag that just begs to be waved?


After the parade, we stopped at another favorite of my Grandpa's: Weinerschnitzel's!


And we finally ended our day together with the best deal in town on a hot day:
Wendy's Frosty's!

You can't beat it! A Kids Frosty at 50-cents a pop! And it's just the right size!


Isabella with her Aunt Julia!

Another perfect day filled with smiles!


2 comments:

Herlehy Family said...

You are such a trooper going to a parade when you are almost ready to deliver a baby! Looks like the kids had a great time.

Lopez X 5 said...

Aww Marie's donuts!! Yum!!
I wished we lived closer, and didn't have to work on the weekends, you guys always have so much fun.
Hey, I sent a box back with Grandma,and you mom, last week. It is filled with school supplies, that my kids no longer need. Hope you can use them.