Monday, February 9, 2009

Letting go is hard to do!

For a bit of background, you should know that my childhood was a little...sheltered. My mom was super-paranoid and so we were never really able to do a lot of kids stuff like riding bikes on the side-walk or playing in the front yard. Now, being a parent myself, I totally get where she was coming from, but still, a part of me wishes we had been able to enjoy just a little more freedom, and I always looked forward to being a little more easy going with my own family.


Now, our new home sits really close to the girl's elementary and middle schools, and we could not be happier! The girl's can actually walk to school! But when push came to shove, it was really, really hard for me to let them go-even though I could literally watch them make their way to the school grounds. Well, a few weeks have passed and I've calmed down, the girls love it-they've even taken up riding their scooters to school too, and Sam's happy with my successfully cutting a few apron strings. Not surprisingly though, my mom shares a different opinion!

Happy Mothering!

3 comments:

D G said...

Yea.. I totally get it now too. I always thought I'd be a laid back mom.. Now I'm not so sure. I can't even see that far forward yet.. all Jacob can do is eat, sleep and poop..

2KT Faupula girls said...

Lucky! I wish my kids could walk to school. But yeah, I know where your coming from. Once in awhile, I will follo Karizma's bus to school just to make sure she got off. You would think, but now since the school year is more than half done, I wouldn't be so paranoid. Karizma insist on riding the bus. I guess it gives her room to grow up a little bit!

Anonymous said...

I almost started to cry! Your little girls are getting so old! I remember holding them as wee little babies and now they are walking to school by themselves??? WOW!