Monday, May 31, 2010

2010 Memorial Day: Traditions Old & New


What's not to love about Memorial Day?

We are FREE to live and celebrate with family, friends, and great food!

What a blessing!



Every year we hit the donut shop early in the AM and the kids and Samuel positively devour their sweet pastries. 

I pick...
at the frosting that is. 

Which, in my opinion, is the only thing good about a donut!

Unless, of couse, it's creme-filled.

In which case you would eat the filling...get it?

{Okay, I'm back from my donut-frosting tangent.}


After our suger-induced hysteria we meet up with my family
for the local Memorial Day Parade.

Watching the parade is something I've been doing
for as long as I can remember, and it's so much fun to pass this tradition onto our kids. 

And as we stand for the flag,
hand over heart,
it brings back so many memories of my Grandpa Lopez. 

I know he's there with us.


Later we met up with Samuel's family where the Wylies host an annual Memorial Day BBQ in a truly spectacular country setting.  It is a great place to relax and visit and the kids have an great time exploring.




There are tire swings...


Little toys...



Big toys...



{Note the lack of helmet.  That didn't go over so well...}



Uncooperative toys...



Tears...



Chickens...?


Wild play areas...


...and of course, smiles!

We hope you had fun celebrating too!

No comments: