Sunday, May 16, 2010

Simple Sugar Cookies



I needed a simple and easy sugar cookie recipe for my daughter's tea party that would yield fabulous, soft, and chewy cookies.  It was the day of the event, with only hours until the guests arrived, when I stumbled upon this recipe on allrecipes.com.  I adapted the recipe to what I had on hand, and because this was a no-need-to-chill-the-dough-in-the-fridge and a no-rolling-of-the-dough recipe, I had my cookies baked and cooled in plenty of time for the party!

Simple Sugar Cookies
Yields 24-36 Cookies

Instructions

1/2 cup shortening, butter-flavored
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the shortening, butter, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

Add the eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, and then slowly add to the wet ingredients.
When combined, roll the dough in the palms of your hands into walnut-shaped balls and space evenly on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 9 minutes, or until the bottoms just start to brown.
Remember, do not overbake.  You want these babies to remain moist and chewy.

Enjoy!





No comments: