Friday, March 5, 2010

On the Same Page...



Here's a sneak peek at what any given night is like as we settle in for Family Scripture Study.  It's not always the most reverent, but we've all taken great strides in making this time special for the whole family.


It helps that everyone has their own Book of Mormon...


...and an opportunity to read.

I have to admit, there are times when Samuel and I are just too tired to see this through.  After hours of chasing these rascals around, there is nothing we'd like more than to plunk them all in bed and flop on the couch with a sigh! 

It's then that I'm grateful for what Elder Bednar recalls of him and his wife's efforts to have a gospel-centered home:

Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” 

Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. 

At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected.

He notes that what was most important about his families time together was that they were consistent in their efforts.  Not perfect, consistent!

Now that is something we can shoot for!
 

No comments: